Kenya Red Cross Society is a leading humanitarian organization sustainably promoting the wellbeing, health and resilience of communities in Kenya. The Society is seeking a qualified professional in the following position:
Position Title: Pharmaceutical Technologist (2 position)
Locations: IFO 2 - Dadaab Refugee Operations
Reporting To: Pharmacist In Charge
The pharmaceutical Technologist will be working under the guidance and supervision of the Pharmacy in Charge and will be directly responsible for the running of the hospital/health post dispensing pharmacy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitoring and supervising the hospital/health posts dispensing pharmacy staff to ensure all pharmaceutical ethical protocols are observed.
- Prepare and submit regular inventory reports and requisition orders in time.
- Monitoring drug consumption rate and keeping accurate records of the same.
- Carry out regular pharmacy quality audits in all dispensing units.
- Advise the logistics Manager of procurement-specific issues or improvements.
- Provide on time, standard monthly reports to pharmacy in charge.
- Review prescriptions to assure accuracy, to ascertain the needed ingredients and to evaluate their suitability.
- Provide information and advice regarding drug interactions, side effects, dosage and proper medication storage.
- Analyze prescribing trends to monitor patient compliance and to prevent excessive usage or harmful interactions
- Maintain records such as pharmacy files, patient files inventories, control records and registries of poisons, narcotics and controlled drugs.
- Collaborate with other health care professionals to plan, monitor review and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of drugs and drug regiments, providing advice on drug applications and characteristics.
- Compound and dispense medications as prescribed by clinicians by calculating, weighing, measuring and mixing ingredients.
- Offer health promotion and prevention activities, for example training people to use devices such as blood pressure or diabetes monitors.
- Plan, Implement and maintain procedures for mixing, packaging and labelling pharmaceuticals, according to policy and legal requirements to ensure quality, security and proper disposal.